Police graduation – Wing 292 Thursday 13 August at 2pm

Police graduation – Wing 292 Thursday 13 August at 2pm

0 개 3,877 노영례
Thirty-eight new constables will graduate from Wing 292 at the Royal New Zealand Police College (RNZPC) tomorrow, Thursday 13 August 2015.

The graduating constables have hailed from many different countries including Australia, the UK, the Philippines, South Africa, Switzerland and the Netherlands. The patron for Wing 292 is retired Police Assistant Commissioner Investigations and Intelligence, Gavin Jones, who left in 2009 after 36 years’ service.

Most of Mr. Jones’ service was in the Criminal Investigation Branch from 1974 to 2003 but his roles have varied. He’s notably been (acting) District Commander in Auckland, Crime Manager in Auckland, Auckland’s Area Commander and Professional Standards Manager, to name a few.
Since retirement, Mr. Jones has continued to work for Police as an advisor in a team leading Police’s transformational change programme - Policing Excellence. He’s spent time with Wing 292 on a number of occasions and sat in on classes about drug enforcement.

Qualified to help:
Many recruits have a variety of tertiary qualifications, such as bachelor degrees in Management, Philosophy and French, Law, Criminology, Geography and Anthropology.  Some have trade certificates in Engineering, Building, Hotel and Business Management and Cooking.

Wing 292 has contributed to several events in the Wellington region. Recruits were deployed to the FIFA U20 Football World Cup matches played in Wellington and the Super 15 Rugby final, where they paired up with Wellington District staff to support the police operation.

Leading by example
Ihaka (Isaac) Lenden is looking forward to going home to Northland to begin his new career. He has won the Wing 292 Commissioner’s award for Leadership and it’s not hard to see why. 

Constable Lenden and his wife run an outdoor education park for youth in the Far North. His focus is on youth development, where he’s set up youth initiatives with local runanga. Previously, he was a physical training instructor in the New Zealand Navy and he has worked closely with social sector agencies and police to create positive pathways for families and young people.

Constable Lenden says: “As a constable, I feel that I will be able to bring more support, resources and opportunities to those ready to make that change - whether they are an individual, whānau, community or organisation.  I have gained an appreciation of the barriers facing whānau and rangatahi regarding "gaining traction to move forward" and building their own capacity to conquer life’s challenges themselves - empowering them to achieve success.” 

Before joining police, Constable Lenden has spent considerable time working alongside frontline officers in the Northland area, especially with sole-station constable Richard Avery from Kaeo. Richard says, “Ihaka got the position as the Rangatahi Coordinator for Te Runanga O Whaingaroa and that’s when our bond and excitement with working with our rangatahi from the rohe began.” 

“Over a cuppa, we would meet regularly to discuss what ideas or concerns we had for our youth and what could we do about it.  All Ihaka and I wanted was to give our rangatahi an opportunity and to show them what is available, such as the Whangaroa School Holiday Programme, Bluelight Life Skills Programme and the LSV – Limited Service Volunteer programme, and I am looking forward to working with him in his official capacity as a police officer.”

Constable Hayley Adams, who wins the Patron’s award for second in wing, also has a background of volunteer work but in the field of sexual violence prevention.  She has worked as a volunteer for Rape Crisis and the SPCA.  Constable Adams says: “My time volunteering for Wellington Rape Crisis helped me learn about the incredible things people are doing to address sexual violence, from empowering our young people to have healthy and happy relationships to working alongside survivors. I'll definitely carry those lessons with me in my new role as a constable.”

Fitness and team work is important
Many police officers are sport-oriented and that’s certainly the case with Wing 292, many of whom are New Zealand representatives in a variety of sports codes.

Constable Joshua Drysdale won a Wellington Rugby League Championship in 2012 and has now won Wing 292’s Firearms award.

Constable Hope Daniels played basketball for Queensland and won state titles while Constable Chase Bernard played rugby league for Auckland U20s. Constable Roger Newton was a Hawke’s Bay representative for U18s and Hurricanes secondary schools rugby teams, so it’s not surprising that he’s won the Physical Training and Defensive Tactics award, jointly with Constables Laura Johnstone and Scott Murphy.

Constable Jeffrey Iese played rugby for the Queensland Reds as part of an international development contract.

He says: “For a very long time I believed that playing rugby was my dream career. I got to travel, meet new people, it was exciting and I took to the field alongside my mates. However, now I don't think playing rugby will ever compare to my new career in New Zealand Police. It's not only an exciting job, it's one that I enjoy and that I'm extremely passionate about doing as it is highly rewarding.”

Canterbury has its fair share of athletes and will no doubt have the fittest number of graduating recruits returning to their region, with Constable Carl Willocks having represented Canterbury in rugby and basketball, Constable Hemi Wallace representing Canterbury in football and winning a football scholarship to Lincoln University and Constable William Lonsdale representing Canterbury in cricket.

Erin Bermingham – who has again just been selected as a member of the NZ White Ferns cricket team – is looking forward to graduating and getting out on the streets of Christchurch.  She says: “I have found so far that there are a lot of similarities between team sport and the Police, working together as a team is one of these. You work to your strengths and everyone contributes towards a positive outcome and you can rely a lot on your colleagues for support.”

And finally, fitness has paid off for Constable Scott Murphy, a well-known figure in motocross who’s previously been a police officer in Western Australia.  He’s won the Wing Prevention Award for demonstration of operational skills and prevention practices and the Minister’s award for first in wing.  Constable Murphy is recognised as the top student after the collation of all course assessments.  Constable Murphy is posted to Canterbury district.

Wing 292 award winners:

• The Minister’s Award for First in Wing was awarded to Constable Scott Murphy, posted to Canterbury District.  This award recognises the top student after the collation of all course assessments.

• The Prevention Award (for demonstration of operational skills and prevention practices) was also awarded to Constable Scott Murphy.

• The Patron’s Award for Second in Wing was awarded to Constable Hayley Adams who’s posted to Wellington District. This award recognises the second top student after the collation of all course assessments.

• The Commissioner’s Award for Leadership (in recognition of outstanding potential to lead self and others) goes to Constable Ihaka (Isaac) Lenden, posted to Northland District.

• The Response Award (for demonstration of safe practices and tactical skills) was awarded to Constable Laura Johnstone, who’s posted to Auckland City.

Graduation will take place at The Royal New Zealand Police College on Thursday 13 August at 2.00pm.  The ceremony will be attended by the Minister of Police, the Hon Michael Woodhouse, Acting Police Commissioner Mike Clement and wing patron Retired Assistant Commissioner Gavin Jones, along with members of the police executive.

250px-NZ_Police_Dog-Flaming_Hoop.jpg

Greens welcome Auckland walking and cycling b…

댓글 0 | 조회 920 | 2021.06.04
The Green Party is welcom… 더보기

1 new case; 1 historical case of COVID-19 in …

댓글 0 | 조회 811 | 2021.06.03
There are no new cases of… 더보기

Update on arrivals from Melbourne

댓글 0 | 조회 716 | 2021.06.03
The Ministry of Health ha… 더보기

Explainer: Kennedy Point marina consent - Sup…

댓글 0 | 조회 892 | 2021.06.02
Update of Court proceedin… 더보기

6 new cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation

댓글 0 | 조회 883 | 2021.06.02

Explainer: Kennedy Point marina consent - Sup…

댓글 0 | 조회 956 | 2021.06.01
Update of Court proceedin… 더보기

no new cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation

댓글 0 | 조회 780 | 2021.06.01

Changes to Pukekohe Streets for People Trial

댓글 0 | 조회 802 | 2021.06.01
King Street in Pukekohe w… 더보기

one new case of COVID-19 in managed isolation…

댓글 0 | 조회 834 | 2021.05.31

Aotea community groups awarded more than $200…

댓글 0 | 조회 669 | 2021.05.31
Community organisations o… 더보기

2 new cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation;…

댓글 0 | 조회 966 | 2021.05.30

Eke Panuku raises the sustainability bar for …

댓글 0 | 조회 728 | 2021.05.30
A decision by Eke Panuku … 더보기

no new cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation…

댓글 0 | 조회 962 | 2021.05.28

CRL station taking shape below Auckland stree…

댓글 0 | 조회 906 | 2021.05.28
Construction of New Zeala… 더보기

one new case of COVID-19 in managed isolation

댓글 0 | 조회 1,033 | 2021.05.27

Auckland Museum transformation wins NZ Instit…

댓글 0 | 조회 889 | 2021.05.27
The redevelopment of Auck… 더보기

2 new cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation

댓글 0 | 조회 708 | 2021.05.26

Four COVID-19 cases in Melbourne – restrictio…

댓글 0 | 조회 812 | 2021.05.25
The Ministry of Health is… 더보기

11 June – make a date with Karangahape Road a…

댓글 0 | 조회 1,059 | 2021.05.24
Vibrant urban street and … 더보기

4 new cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation

댓글 0 | 조회 842 | 2021.05.24

Social insurance will protect all workers, pa…

댓글 0 | 조회 699 | 2021.05.24
The Public Service Associ… 더보기

Henderson-Massey reveals action plan to fight…

댓글 0 | 조회 1,188 | 2021.05.21
A plan of action that ide… 더보기

3 new cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation

댓글 0 | 조회 962 | 2021.05.21

Seeded mussel lines filter seawater from bene…

댓글 0 | 조회 1,778 | 2021.05.21
Innovative design partner… 더보기

No new community cases; 1 new case of COVID-1…

댓글 0 | 조회 879 | 2021.05.20