Our top tips for saving water
Check out these top tips for saving water around the home and garden.
- Showering and doing the laundry take the most water. Limit showers to four minutes or less. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Choose appliances with a good water rating – check the label. Front-loading washing machines and dual-flush toilets are more efficient.
- Only run your washing machine or dishwasher when they’re full.
- Use a bucket to catch water while the shower warms up. You can use the water on your garden.
- Check for leaks. Small drips, e.g. from the toilet cistern, can waste thousands of litres.
- When hand-washing dishes, fill the sink rather than rinsing and washing the dishes under a running tap.
- Use a bucket of soapy water to clean windows or the car. Only use the hose for a quick spray to finish.
- Sweep your paths and driveway rather than hosing.
Benefits of saving water
When you save water you will:
- save on your water and energy (hot water) bills
- help defer the need for a new water source for Auckland
- discharge less wastewater. This will help defer the need for bigger treatment plants.
Find out more
Help and advice
Free water audits
Watercare offers a free water audit to help you use water more efficiently. All you need to do is spend about 30 minutes on the phone, telling us how your family uses water.
You will receive a personalised report outlining the best ways for your household to use less water. And over the following 12 months, the EcoMatters Environment Trust will track your water use and update you on progress.
Retrofit your home
Auckland Council’s Retrofit Your Home scheme helps you pay for sustainable features in your home. Learn more about Retrofit your home.