Government House Garden Wellington (Public)
Situated a stone’s throw from the Wellington Central Business District, Government House was built in 1910 on the site previously occupied by the Mount View lunatic asylum and is set amongst 12 hectares of land that stretch from the hills of Mount Victoria to the Newtown flats. Wellington’s cool climate and persistent winds affect the site. In 1996 a five year extensive redevelopment plan was commenced to develop the garden to its full potential, building upon the existing historical framework. This has resulted in a garden that is a worthy setting for the house and a pleasure for those who live, work and visit there.
The overriding characteristic of the garden is the range and diversity successfully blending New Zealand indigenous plants with exotic plants representing the link between the now indigenous role of the Governor General and the more formal gardens of England. The house is flanked front and back by large expanses of formal lawn. These, coupled with award-winning perennial and native borders, have set the scene for many royal and state welcomes. Trees planted by Royals are a prominent feature. Rose gardens, conifers, woodland, park-like walks and native bush regeneration areas are all well represented and are linked by a network of paths and roads making walking a pleasure.
Opening Hours and Tariffs
Open by appointment