2018 New Zealander of the Year Awards Update
The New Zealander of the Year Awards office is pleased to provide the following nominations update for the 2018 New Zealander of the Year Awards.
- 984 nominations have been received for 2018 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year.
- New Zealander of the Year Awards manager Glyn Taylor has noted the surge in nominations for New Zealanders working to solve major social issues such as poverty, mental health and the environment.
- New Zealanders recently nominated for the 2018 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year Award for their contribution to social good include:
- Dr Phil Bagshaw – founder of Canterbury Charity Hospital
- Kristine Bartlett – equal pay campaigner
- Julie Chapman – CEO and founder of KidsCan
- Kelly Dugan – founder of Smiledial
- Dr Mike Joy – advocate for the environment
- Mike King – advocate for mental health
- Hinewirangi Kohu-Morgan – advocate for Māori victims of sexual abuse
- Marama Pala – advocate for people living with HIV and indigenous rights
- Major Campbell Roberts – national director of social policy for The Salvation Army
- Annah Stretton – founder of Reclaim Another Woman
After nominations close on 18 September 2017, a judging panel – comprising representatives of awards patrons, presenters, sponsors, community leaders and independent experts – will evaluate the nominations. The shortlist of 10 candidates to be considered for the New Zealander of the Year Award will be announced in December.
Comment from New Zealander of the Year Awards manager Glyn Taylor:
"As the country weighs up which political party will best make New Zealand a better place, this year's nominations show we have many fine citizens already tackling major issues such as poverty, mental health, vulnerable children, healthcare, the environment and social justice.
"These people are the true agents of change. They inspire and give us real hope that New Zealand can be the fair and equitable country we want it to be. Their selflessness, perseverance and relentless positivity gives is what makes us all proud to call them our own."
Nominations are also being sought for exceptional New Zealanders in the following categories:
- University of Auckland Young New Zealander of the Year (15-30 years)
- Metlifecare Senior New Zealander of the Year (60 years and over)
- Kiwibank New Zealand Local Hero of the Year
- Sanitarium New Zealand Innovator of the Year
- Mitre10 New Zealand Community of the Year
The annual New Zealander of the Year Awards are in their ninth year. They recognise, encourage and reward New Zealand's most vital asset – its people. They're open to all New Zealanders and celebrate the contributions of New Zealanders from all walks of life.
The 2018 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year will be announced at the New Zealander of the Year Gala Awards in Auckland on 22 February 2018.
Previous winners of the New Zealander of the Year Award are: Taika Waititi (2017), Richie McCaw (2016), Sir Stephen Tindall (2015), Dr Lance O'Sullivan (2014), Dame Anne Salmond (2013), Sir Richard Taylor (2012), Sir Paul Callaghan (2011) and Sir Ray Avery (2010).
More information on the 2018 New Zealander of the Year Awards is at www.nzawards.org.nz