휴람
송영림
월드비전
독자기고
이신

St George의 생활영어 - Christmas

0 개 3,185 박정실
Christmas

Sara: Wow…look at all your shopping bags! Are you doing your Christmas shopping already? It’s only November.
사라:와우 이게 전부 다 네 쇼팽백이야? 벌써 크리스마스 쇼핑 하는거야? 아직 11월 밖에 안됐는데.

Sophie: Nearly finished! I want to get it all over with before December…it’s madness trying to get your Christmas shopping done then.
소피:거의 끝났어! 12월 전까지 끝내고 싶어.. 그때가서야 크리스마스 쇼핑을 하려 한다면 정말 바보같은 짓이지.

Sara: I’m trying to make presents for as many people as I can this year – everything’s so expensive now – we might as well have some DIY Christmas presents. So what are you up to on Christmas Day?
사라: 이번년에 최대한 많은 사람들을 위해 선물을 준비하려고 노력중이야- 지금은 모든게 너무 비싸- 우린 DIY(Do It Yourself) 직접 만든 크리스마스 선물을 하는게 나을지 몰라. 어쨌든 넌 크리스마스 날 뭐하니?

Sophie: It’s going to be full on! I’m having a champagne breakfast at home, then Christmas lunch at my parents’ house, then dinner with my partner’s family…I’m going to have to pace myself so that I can manage to eat all those meals! Oh and I’ve got a Christmas party for my work the week before – we’re going on a harbour cruise. How about you? What are you up to?
소피: 난 바쁠거야! 집에서 샴페인으로 아침을 시작해서, 부모님 댁에서 크리스마스 점심을 먹은 다음, 내 파트너의 가족들과 저녁을 먹을거야…이 식사를 다 해결할 수 있도록 내 자신을 잘 조절해야해! 아 참! 그리고 그 전주에 회사 크리스마스 파티가 있어- 하버 크루즈를 갈건데. 너는? 넌 뭐할거야?

Sara: Well Christmas day itself is going to be pretty quiet & relaxing – my dad’s family always go away to their bach for Christmas Day – so we have a big get-together with them the weekend before Christmas. And most of my mum’s family live overseas. So I’m just going to have Christmas dinner at my parents’ house…and one of my friends is going to come with me – her family are all out of town this Christmas. I’m going to the South Island on Boxing Day so I’ll need to pack for that as well.
사라: 글쎄, 이번 크리스마스 날에는 조용하고 편안할거야- 아버지의 가족들은 항상 크리스마스날 별장으로 가셔- 그래서 우린 크리스마스 전 주말에 단체로 친척들과 모여. 그리고 대부분의 어머니 가족들은 외국에 사시고. 그래서 난 그냥 부모님의 집에서 크리스마스 저녁을 먹을거야..그리고 내 친구들 중 한명이 나와 같이 갈거구- 그 친구의 가족들이 이번 크리스마스날 전부 여행가거든 . 박싱 데이 땐 남섬에 가기 때문에 짐도 싸야하고.

Sophie: That sounds nice. I wish I could have some time to relax on Christmas day. I’m going to be racing from one house to the next. So what kind of presents are you making for people?
소피: 정말 좋겠다. 크리스마스날 안식할 수 있는 시간 좀 가졌으면 좋겠다. 난 이집 저집 서둘러 돌아다녀야 할거야.. 그래, 넌 사람들을 위해 어떤 종류의 선물을 만들고 있니?

Sara: I’m going to make some big batches of sweets – like fudge and coconut ice and wrap them up nicely. I’m going to make toys for my nieces and make my own Christmas cards too!
사라: 난 퍼지나 코코넛 아이스 같은 달콤한 것들을 만들어서 예쁘게 포장하려고해. 조카들한테는 직접 만든 장난감과 크리스마스 카드를 줄거야.

Sophie: Good idea. It’s great to get something a bit personal at Christmas – it really has become too commercial. Unfortunately I’m so busy at work at the moment that I don’t have time to make things for people. I’m always bringing work home with me. Still; I’m glad that I’ve nearly finished my Christmas shopping – one less thing to think about!
소피: 좋은 생각이야. 크리스마스 때 약간의 개인적인 것들을 준비하는 것도 좋지- 요즘엔 너무 다 상업적이잖아. 불행히도 난 회사일이 너무 바빠서 다른 사람들을 위해 뭔가 직접 만들 시간이 없어. 난 항상 집에 회사 일거리를 가져 오거든. 근데 크리스마스 쇼핑은 거의 끝내서 너무 좋아- 생각해야 될 거리가 하나 줄잖아.

Sara: That’s true – well have a great Christmas if I don’t see you before then.
사라: 맞아- 크리스마스 전에 못 볼수도 있으니까 크리스마스 잘 보내.

Sophie: You too – and have fun in the South Island!
소피: 너도- 그리고 남섬에서 좋은시간 보내!

Glossary:

Madness – craziness. Here this means that it will be crazy trying to buy Christmas presents in December because all the shops will be so busy. 무모한짓,바보짓.

might as well – no reason that you should not do something.
Another example is “Since we have to wait, we might as well sit down and relax.” This means “Since we have to wait, there’s no reason why we should not sit down and relax.” ~하는게 낫다.

DIY – Do It Yourself. Here, Sara is talking about DIY Christmas presents – she means homemade Christmas presents or Christmas presents she has made.
DIY is also often used to talk about renovating your house or fixing things at home by yourself, rather than paying someone else to do it. 직접 만든것.

pace – used as a verb like this, pace means to plan carefully how fast you are going to do something. 조절하다.

In Sophie’s case, it means that because she has lots of meals to eat that day, she should not eat too much at each place, so that she is not too full.

You might pace yourself when you’re running a race, so that you don’t run too fast at the start and use up all your energy.

You might pace yourself when you’re sitting an exam, so that you don’t spend too long on one question and run out of time to finish the others.

be racing – be hurrying/be moving fast. 서둘러 다니다.

20081117075346_7395.jpg

여러분이 원하시는 대화문 주제를 korean@stgeorge.ac.nz로 보내주시면 다음 대화문에
여러분의 의견을 수렴해 드리겠습니다. 또한 korea times 컬럼리스트에 NZ English나
St George 웹페이지 www.stgeorge.ac.nz 의 onlie English로 오시면 더욱 다양한
대화문을 공부하실수 있습니다.

St George의 생활영어 - Catching the bus

댓글 0 | 조회 4,004 | 2009.11.13
Catching the busYuri : Hi, I would like to go to Mt Albert please. Is this the right to ca… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Calling IRD

댓글 0 | 조회 3,944 | 2009.08.20
Calling IRD - IRD전화걸기---Thank you for calling Inland Revenue. Please for faster and more s… 더보기

St Georged의 생활영어 - ACC

댓글 0 | 조회 3,937 | 2010.08.23
ACC Will fell of his bike and sprained his ankle. He is at the doctor having the injury ch… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Clearing customs

댓글 0 | 조회 3,846 | 2009.10.14
Clearing customs 세관 통과[At Passport Control] 출입국 수속Immigration Officer –Good morning. Can I… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Queen's Birthday

댓글 0 | 조회 3,814 | 2010.05.28
Queen's Birthday WeekendRose: I heard through the grapevine that there are no classes on M… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Reporting stolen property

댓글 0 | 조회 3,667 | 2010.02.18
Reporting stolen property도난된 물건 신고하기Rex – Hello, Downtown Police Station. You are speaking… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - A favour

댓글 0 | 조회 3,613 | 2008.08.21
Frances: Hello, Frances speaking. 안녕하세요, 프렌시스 입니다.Anna: Hey Frances, how’s it going? It’s … 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - New Job

댓글 0 | 조회 3,508 | 2009.04.24
New JobRuth: Hi Ben! (Grinning from ear to ear)안녕 벤! (활짝 웃는다)Ben: Hi Ruth. You look like y… 더보기

Anzac Day

댓글 0 | 조회 3,463 | 2008.04.09
Anzac Day 앤잭 기념일 Leon:Hey there Jared.What’s with the flower?I’ve seen heaps of people wal… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Clothes and fashion

댓글 0 | 조회 3,415 | 2008.09.15
Clothes 옷 Jenny: Man, I really need to get some new clothes for summer eh. 제니: 나 정말 여름옷을 좀… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - NZ hot spots

댓글 0 | 조회 3,393 | 2008.11.17
NZ hot spotsBen: I’ve got a week off work next week – I really want to get out of the big … 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Lost property on the bus

댓글 0 | 조회 3,371 | 2010.05.19
Lost property on the bus 버스에서의 분실물Automated voice:To help you find your lost property, we … 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Changing Internet Service P…

댓글 0 | 조회 3,367 | 2009.12.01
Changing Internet Service Providers 인터넷 서비스업체 바꾸기Automated voice: Welcome to Quicknet. For… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Working for Families

댓글 0 | 조회 3,282 | 2009.06.11
Working for FamiliesJana: Everything’s getting so expensive…I filled up the car this morni… 더보기

ID

댓글 0 | 조회 3,190 | 2008.07.02
Miki:What are you up to tonight, Eva? 오늘 밤에 뭐 할거야 , 에바? Eva:Some of my friends are going o… 더보기
Now

현재 St George의 생활영어 - Christmas

댓글 0 | 조회 3,186 | 2008.12.16
ChristmasSara: Wow…look at all your shopping bags! Are you doing your Christmas shopping a… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - New Year Resolutions

댓글 0 | 조회 3,154 | 2009.01.27
New Year Resolutions 새해 결심Julie: Man I have managed to really pack on the pounds this sill… 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Winter

댓글 1 | 조회 3,124 | 2010.07.29
WinterA: Gosh, it’s freezing.A: 아이고,너무 춥다.B: Yes, I just want to snuggle up with a hottie … 더보기

St George의 생활영어 - Voting

댓글 0 | 조회 3,104 | 2008.10.22
Voting 선거Glen: Wow, the election’s next month! Have you enrolled to vote yet? 와, 다음달에 선거가 … 더보기

Studylink – Student Allowance

댓글 0 | 조회 2,934 | 2007.12.19
Amanda: Kia ora, welcome to Studylink, you’re speaking with Amanda. 안녕하세요. 스터디 링크의 아만다입니다.… 더보기

Going on a Diet

댓글 0 | 조회 2,762 | 2008.07.02
Dave: Man, I feel like I’m getting a bit pudgy around the old gut. 세상에. 나 뱃살이 장난아니야. Julie… 더보기

Sick

댓글 0 | 조회 2,745 | 2008.03.13
Sick Cindy:I’m sick as a dog.I think I need to go to hospital! 나 몸이 너무 안좋아.아무래도 병원에 가봐야 할것… 더보기

뉴질랜드 TV 프로그램

댓글 0 | 조회 2,634 | 2007.09.17
TV Programmes(뉴질랜드 TV 프로그램) Sally: Hey did you watch “America’s next top model” last night… 더보기

St George의 생활영어- Rugby World Cup Dialogue – o…

댓글 0 | 조회 2,626 | 2011.09.20
Joan: Hey Max, are you coming to the World Cup opening party tonight?Joan: 하이 맥스, 너 오늘밤 월드… 더보기

Climate and Weather 오클랜드 날씨-St George Institu…

댓글 0 | 조회 2,619 | 2006.10.27
Climate and Weather Jack: I hate spring in Auckland.The weather is so unpredictable. 나는 오클… 더보기