New Waitematā Safe Routes designs open for feedback
Auckland Transport (AT) is asking for feedback on its newly designed Waitematā Safe Routes project, which will deliver walking, cycling, road safety and village centre improvements to Garnet, Old Mill, Surrey and Richmond Roads in Grey Lynn.
The new designs are the result of months of engagement with schools, businesses, community groups and residents on how to fix and improve on the work undertaken last year.
AT’s Group Manager Major Projects, David Nelson, says AT has worked closely with community representatives to find a way forward and there is now an opportunity for the wider community to give feedback.
“We have done significant engagement with business owners in the area, the local schools and community representatives since construction paused last year," he says.
“It is now time for us to hear from the wider community on the proposals and get their feedback.”
AT’s Manager Walking, Cycling and Road Safety, Kathryn King, says the design will make improvements to West Lynn village as well as providing better walking and cycling links.
“The new design is much more than a cycleway. The proposed changes will not only make the streets safer for everyone, they will also make getting around a more pleasurable experience and create public spaces for the whole community to enjoy.
"We’re now keen to hear from the community to get their feedback on the entire project including the section through West Lynn village.”
Design elements include:
- Making the streets safer for everyone with raised crossings on every side street of the two routes
- A protected cycleway along both routes
- Improving retail centres with better urban design
- Fixing the stormwater issues in West Lynn village
- Reducing the gradient of footpaths in the West Lynn village
- Improving the locations of bus stops and pedestrian crossings
- More trees and green space
- Better street lighting.
Give your feedback
Feedback is open until 14 December. You can find out more about the designs and give feedback at at.govt.nz
You can also find out more at our public open days:
- Sunday 18 November, Grey Lynn Community Centre, 8.30am-12pm
- Tuesday 20 November, St Columba Church, 4pm-7pm
- Saturday 24 November, Grey Lynn Park Festival, 9.30am-5pm
- Sunday 25 November, Grey Lynn Community Centre, 8.30am-12pm
- Wednesday 28 November, St Columba Church, 4pm-7pm
- Sunday 2 December, Grey Lynn Community Centre, 8.30am-12pm
- Wednesday 5 December, St Columba Church, 4pm-7pm