Aucklanders are fortunate to have two stunning beaches – Karioitahi and Muriwai – where you’re allowed to drive, provided you have a permit.
Getting a permit costs nothing and only takes about five minutes. Even better, it can all be done online.
Beaches are legal roads and all road rules – seatbelts, speed limits, driving behaviour and such - apply.
- You must always have your beach driving permit when you are driving on the beach – having it on your mobile phone or device is fine.
- Take safety equipment, including a spade and a rope.
- Stick to the hard part of the beach below the high tide line.
- Access to the beach is limited to three hours either side of low tide.
- Stay off the dunes – fragile dune systems are damaged by vehicle use.
- Always slow down when there are people or animals around.
- Be aware of shorebirds nesting at high tide.