휴람
송영림
월드비전
독자기고
이신

긴 연휴(Queen's Birthday) 안전운전에 대하여

0 개 2,097 Jessica Phuang

Ashley Gore.jpg

Another long weekend is approaching and I wish to share with you a discussion I have had with Acting Senior Sergeant Ashley GORE of the Road Policing Team at Auckland City District Police. 

Jessica:  Acting Senior Sergeant Gore, we’ve been telling our communities about keeping safe when they drive long distances, especially on long weekends. What are the key messages that you can share with them? 

Ashley: We are very keen for people to travel safely on our roads. They can do this by sticking to the speed limits, driving to the conditions and ensuring that all occupants in the vehicle are wearing their seatbelts. Drivers should remember that the speed limits are not targets, they are the maximum speeds you can drive at when conditions are good. 

Jessica: So you mean to say people should be more cautious of the weather now?

Ashley: We are going into winter and the roads may be slippery because of rain. There are fewer daylight hours and drivers can also get caught out by sun strike. Added to variable weather conditions is increased traffic volumes as people try to go away on a short holiday. 

Jessica: It seems that there is a lot happening on the roads.

Ashley: Exactly, so rather than just thinking of what speed they should be travelling at, people should really consider the conditions of the roads while they are driving. 

Jessica: I like what you said about the weather. Even when driving in the city, as soon as the day changes from a bright day to having rain, the traffic becomes quite chaotic. But when people are driving long distance, all they focus on is getting to the destination as soon as possible instead of considering the road conditions. I find it very intimidating when people follow very close to my car. It’s almost like telling me to drive faster. 

Ashley: Drivers need to understand that in dry conditions there is a two second following rule but in wet conditions, it’s a four second rule. If another vehicle is following you too closely, rather than speeding up, move to the left if it's safe to do so and let the vehicle pass.

Jessica: What are the best practices when driving long distances? 

Ashley: All drivers should check their cars properly before they start their journey.  Ensure your vehicle is road worthy by doing a TWIRL.

T - Tyres

W – Windscreen, wipers & mirrors

I - Indicators

R - Rust

L- Lights

This is not difficult and can be done by just walking around the car, making sure that they are checked and in good conditions. 

Instead of focusing on reaching the destination, take a break so that you can stretch your legs, have something to eat and switch drivers if possible

Jessica: So for Queen’s Birthday weekend, what is the speed tolerance?

Ashley: We want drivers to drive to the speed limit, if the conditions allow. Say for example you are driving along a road with a 100kmh speed limit, it's raining, the traffic has slowed down to about 90kmh. You become impatient and decide to overtake the cars in front of you, speeding up to 102-103kms. While you are only exceeding the speed limit by 2-3kmh, 102km at an impact is a huge speed.  A Police Officer using his or her discretion may give you a fine because he/she has noted that your speed is too fast for the conditions and you are endangering other road users. 

Jessica: Now I understand why some people were confused that they were given fines for driving just 2 or 3 km above the speed limit.

I can see that not driving above the speed limit and according to road conditions must go hand in hand together.

Do you think people are thinking that, if there is a crash, airbags in the cars are going to protect them?

Ashley: This is simply the Law of Physics. People can go on You Tube and watch vehicles being crash tested.

Airbags working together with safety belts help reduce the impact on our bodies when we are in a car crash. Airbags and seatbelts are only effective at lower speeds. At higher speeds, even with both working, we can still be seriously injured or killed.

At crashes we attend we see that, out of all the vehicle occupants involved, those who are not wearing seatbelts are the most harmed.

Jessica: What have you got to say to people who are impatient and want to reach their destination quickly?

Ashley: What people will find is that they can speed up only to find that at some point, they will still have to be in a queue because that is how the traffic is flowing.  Slowing down may take you a bit longer, but life is worth more than all the time in the world and I strongly encourage people to be patient and considerate on the roads.

Jessica : Thank you Acting Senior Sgt GORE, I hope that people will take care to abide by the road rules and I wish to take this opportunity to wish all Asian communities a very enjoyable and safe Queen’s Birthday weekend.  

Jess 1.jpg

Chris Byun 순경과의 인터뷰

댓글 0 | 조회 4,536 | 2016.07.04
무엇이 뉴질랜드 경찰을 하고 싶은 동기 부여가 될까?뉴질랜드 경찰은 아시안 경찰관들을 모집하고 있으며, 저는 노스쇼어 경찰서 소속인 순경 Chris Byun 와의… 더보기

Jenny Su 순경과의 인터뷰

댓글 0 | 조회 4,498 | 2016.06.23
무엇이 뉴질랜드 경찰을 하고 싶은 동기 부여가 될까?뉴질랜드 경찰은 아시안 경찰관들을 모집하고 있으며 저는 오클랜드 센트럴 경찰서 소속인 순경 Jenny Su와의… 더보기

뉴질랜드 여행자 입국시 보안 검색 및 필수 문서는?

댓글 0 | 조회 4,416 | 2022.08.25
최근 국경이 다시 열리면서 해외 여행이 자유로워졌다. 어제(24일) 오클랜드 경찰서에서는 뉴질랜드 입국시 주의해야 할 부분을 뉴질랜드 관세청(Ministry fo… 더보기

오클랜드 경찰서 주최, 한해을 마감하는 Volunteers 날을 가지다

댓글 0 | 조회 4,018 | 2014.11.11
지난 11월 7일, 546 Mt. Albert Rd. Three Kings에 위치한 Fickling Centre에서 올 한해을 결산하는 Volunteers 날을 … 더보기

뉴질랜드에서의 아동폭력 (1)

댓글 0 | 조회 3,729 | 2017.02.22
● 우리는 어떻게 아이들을 훈육하는가?오늘은 오클랜드 시티 경찰서 ‘아동보호 특별팀’의 Richard Corbidge 경관과 인터뷰를 가졌다. 특히 아시안 문화와… 더보기

오는 12월 1일부로 변경되는 음주운전 관련 법률

댓글 0 | 조회 3,578 | 2014.11.06
2014년 12월 1일 부로 변경되는 음주운전 관련 법률에 대해 알려 드립니다. 현재 20세 이상의 경우 적용되는 음주 허용치가 400 micrograms of … 더보기

휴가철 해변에서 주의해야 할 지침들

댓글 0 | 조회 2,769 | 2015.12.19
어제(18일) Watersafe (85 Westhaven Dr. Auckland)에서 뉴질랜드 경찰서와 함께 꽃게 잡이시 안전교육에 대한 세미나를 가졌다. 휴가철… 더보기

경찰이 정지신호를 보낼 때...

댓글 0 | 조회 2,549 | 2017.06.14
만약 내차 뒤에서 사이렌이 울리면 어떻게 해야 하나요?오늘은 오클랜드시티 경찰서 소속 교통 감독관 Matthew Knowsley 씨와 도로 교통과 Ed Fong … 더보기

주택 절도범 검거를 위해 광범위한 일제 단속을 실시하는 오클랜드 경찰

댓글 0 | 조회 2,535 | 2016.03.31
주택 절도 범죄 피해자들을 위해 절도범 검거율을 올리고자 오클랜드 시티 (Auckland City) 경찰은 '해결 작전 (Operation Resolve)'으로 … 더보기

Gerald Bautista 순경과의 인터뷰

댓글 0 | 조회 2,360 | 2016.06.20
무엇이 뉴질랜드 경찰을 하고 싶은 동기 부여가 될까?뉴질랜드 경찰은 아시안 경찰관들을 모집하고 있으며 저는 오클랜드 센트럴 경찰서 소속인 순경 Gerald Bau… 더보기

응급 전화번호 #111 콜 센터를 방문하다

댓글 0 | 조회 2,335 | 2018.06.14
오클랜드에 위치한 응급 전화번호 #111 센터를방문하였다.Northern Communications Centre 메니져 Barry Smalley 경관의 안내로 센… 더보기

The dangers of crab netting on Northland beac…

댓글 0 | 조회 2,309 | 2015.07.22
Recently I received a phone call from Constable Martin Geddes who works at Waipu in Northl… 더보기

차안 소매치기 방지

댓글 0 | 조회 2,291 | 2018.08.13
How to avoid Bag Snatching from your Car (Korean)

새해도 안전을 기원합니다

댓글 0 | 조회 2,280 | 2016.02.02
Jessica: Good morning District Commander Richard Chambers, we have just celebrated the New… 더보기

공원내에서 안전하기

댓글 0 | 조회 2,280 | 2014.10.22
오클랜드는Travel bible Lonely Planet 소개에서도 10위권 안에 드는 관광도시로 매우 활기찬 도시입니다. 한해에 외국인 방문자 수가 1.8mil… 더보기

뉴질랜드에서의 아동폭력 (2)

댓글 0 | 조회 2,150 | 2017.03.07
지난호에 이어 뉴질랜드에서의 아동학대 사례와 함께 Richard Corbidge 경관과 인터뷰를 가졌다.Jessica: 아동학대의 어떤 상황이 부모들이 기소되나요… 더보기

[비디오] 소매치기 (Bag snatching)

댓글 0 | 조회 2,117 | 2015.07.14
여성 운전자를 대상으로 한 차량 소매치기 방지를 위한 비디오입니다.

쿠키 프로젝트에서 선물용 산타 쿠키 만들어

댓글 0 | 조회 2,113 | 2020.12.16
쿠키 프로젝트는 장애가 있는 키위를 고용하여 수상 경력에 빛나는 맛있는 쿠키를 만들고 시간당 최소 $18.90의 적절한 임금을 지급하는 인증된 사회적 기업이다. … 더보기
Now

현재 긴 연휴(Queen's Birthday) 안전운전에 대하여

댓글 0 | 조회 2,098 | 2015.05.26
Another long weekend is approaching and I wish to share with you a discussion I have had w… 더보기

Crab 낚시 안전 세미나

댓글 0 | 조회 2,066 | 2015.11.25
안전한 꽃게(Crab) 잡이를 위한 세미나 개최와 즐거운 비치 데이을 갖는다. 여러분은 혹시 Uretiti 비치, Ruakaka 비치, Waipu Cove 등에서… 더보기

[비디오] 사건 사고 신고는 111로

댓글 0 | 조회 2,015 | 2015.08.31
사건 사고 신고는 111로 전화하면 된다. 사건 예방은 나부터 시작한다. 범인을 목격하게 되면 주의 깊게 그들이 여자인지 남자인지, 피부색깔, 타투여부, 팬츠, … 더보기

여성분들을 위한 세미나

댓글 0 | 조회 1,988 | 2016.04.18
여성분들에게 인상깊은 이야기가 될 세미나!!"나는 여자이다"의 High Tea 시리즈로 랑햄 호텔에서 여성분들을 위한 인상깊은 스토리들을 나눈다."당신의 꿈은 언… 더보기

다민족 대응성 매니져로 승진한 Jessica Phuang 축하 행사 가져

댓글 0 | 조회 1,955 | 2019.02.18
오늘 546 Mt. Albert Rd. 에 위치한 Fickling Convention Centre 에서는 최근 Tamaki Makaurau 다민족 Responsi… 더보기

[비디오] 소매점 절도 주의 요함

댓글 0 | 조회 1,946 | 2015.08.31
절도범들이 특히 한가로운 지역 소매점을 타겟으로 절도을 한다. 특히 주의해야 할 점은 조을 이뤄 절도을 하거나 흉기를 가지고 협박을 할 수 있으므로 절대 상대를 … 더보기

오클랜드 경찰, 유학생 대사들을 위한 수상 안전 교육 가져

댓글 0 | 조회 1,835 | 2018.11.05
지난 11월 3일 Auckland Police 에서는 유학생 대사(ISA)들을 위한 수상안전 교육 이벤트를 Bethells Beach 에서 가졌다. ISA는 여러… 더보기